The first stations, along the heart of the line, were built in ‘mock-Tudor’ style by the ‘Little’ North Western Railway in the late 1840s.
Some of these timber and plaster buildings, at Clapham, Bell Busk and Gargrave, still survive and are now in private ownership. Some larger stations, like Hellifield and Skipton, were built in stone with ornate canopies, when the Midland Railway took over the line in 1870.
Whilst the architectural style of Lancaster station reflects that of the neighbouring ancient castle, the styles at Leeds station echo both the art-deco period and the modern era.
The history posters and panels are on display at stations along the present route and attract considerable interest from today’s passengers. They can be viewed using the links below.
Formerly, the line reached Morecambe via the Lune Valley stations at Hornby, Caton, Halton and Lancaster Green Ayre. The history of those stations has also been researched and posters for these stations are on display in the respective village hall or a building on the former station site and can be viewed using these links.